The School of law of University of Gondar was launched in 2005, a year after the University’s establishment to become one more faculty in the University. It had begun its academic activities with 61 degree students in the extension program with few full-time and part-time instructors from the North Gondar High Court.
It has been 15 years now during which the School has undergone so many developments. It is offering law courses at LLB and LLM level through its regular, extension and summer programs. Read More
Though, upon establishment, the School had only few full-time instructors, now more than 30 members of academic staff have joined and are teaching law courses in the School.
The School has been working with many stakeholders in and outside including national courts, general attorney offices, police institutions etc. It has been serving as the chair of the Ethiopian Law Schools’ Consortium since 2015 to date. It is also active member to the International Association of Law Schools. Faculty members and students have been actively participating in moot court competitions held at the national and international levels where we able to won so many trophies particularly in the moot competition held in The Hague, Geneva organized by the International Criminal Court. Currently the School is offering two graduate programs LLM in Human Rights Law and LLM in Environmental and Water Laws. The later program is very distinct in its nature and is offered nowhere in the nation except in our School of Law. A curriculum was designed on LLM program in Criminal Justice and will be opened soon.
We envision the growth of our School to become one of the best law schools in Ethiopian universities producing passionate and skilled legal minds.
We actively strive for the enhancement of democracy, good governance, tolerance, equity, social justice and economic development for the people of Ethiopia through the provision of quality teaching, research and community service programs specifically on laws and legal issues.
The delegates of the School won various awards mainly on moot court competitions at the national and international competitions.
- Best Department of the Year of 2016/17 Award Winner, University of Gondar;
- International Criminal Court Competition Cup Award in 2015, The Hague, The Netherlands;
- Best Memorial Award Winner, in 2012, 4th National Moot Court Competition, Ethiopian Humanitarian Red Cross;
- Runner up Team Award winner, 4th National Moot Court Arbitration Competition, 2012, Ethiopian Arbitration and Conciliation Center;
- Award winner of the National Moot Court Competition;
- Best Oralist Award Winner, 2nd Moot Arbitration Conciliation, Ethiopian Arbitration and Conciliation Center;